Ever since PRIYANKA CHOPRA was signed for ABC mini-series QUANTICO and her subsequent shocking win in Popular Choice Awards this year, she’s been trending all over. She became the first Bollywood star ever to present an Oscar at the recently held 88th Academy Awards and her Red Carpet appearance made her the most googled celebrity on the internet and as if this wasn’t enough, she’s now shooting for her first Hollywood film BAYWATCH with popular Dwayne Johnson in California.
There’s no doubt that former MISS WORLD Priyanka Chopra has made it big and I wouldn’t be surprised if more new international projects with her are announced soon, however, there’s no denying the fact that Priyanka is a great actress, who’s equally at ease in Bollywood & Hollywood projects. Winner of several acting awards, Priyanka was superb in films like BARFI, MARY KOM and the recently released BAJIRAO MASTANI and this is why, her soon to be released JAI GANGAJAL is eagerly awaited by her fans all over. Prakash Jha’s JAI GANGAJAL, a sequel to his earlier popular hit GANGAJAL, presents her as a cop in lawless Bihar and inspite of no other big name in the film and Priyanka’s continuing absence from promotions, the film has evoked keen interest all over. The trial shows and earlier reports are all pointing to another powerful performance from Priyanka Chopra and it seems that everyone in unison is rooting for her tough cop role in JAI GANGAJAL but there have been many other instances of Women Cop in Bollywood and surely looking at this list, Priyanka will have a tough act to follow!
WOMEN COP IN BOLLYWOOD ….
- RANI MUKHERJEE in MARDAANI (2014) … Not many had high hopes on 5 footer Rani Mukherjee as a cop but she surprised all with her powerful performance and not only walked away with applause but also a few awards!
- REKHA in PHOOL BANE ANGAAREY (1995) … National award winner REKHA gave a powerful performance in K. C. Bokadia’s film and it was quite a transformation from Umrao Jaan to tough woman cop!
- TABOO in DRISHYAM (2015) … There’s no doubt that she’s a great actress but it’s not easy either to portray a tough cop in male dominated field, however, TABU always rises beyond expectations and comes up with superb performance and surely rocked in DRISHYAM as well!
- DIMPLE KAPADIA in ZAKHMI AURAT (1997) … For someone who started as a teenager in BOBBY (1972) and bounced back years after with powerful performances in films like LEKIN, RUDAALI & LEELA, her cop role in ZAKHMI AURAT sure surprised many!
- MADHURI DIXIT in KHALNAYAK (1993) … Though many remember her dancing to ‘ Choli Ke Peechey…’, MADHURI DIXIT was the cop to ‘Khalnayak’ SANJAY DUTT in Subhash Ghai’s KHALNAYAK!
- HEMA MALINI in ANDHA KANOON (1990) … That she walked away with applause inspite of the presence of heavy weights like RAJINIKANTH, AMITABH BACHCHAN & REENA ROY, speaks of her impressive cop role in ANDHA KANOON!
- SUSHMITA SEN in SAMAY (2003) … Without doubt SAMAY had the best performance from former MISS UNIVERSE Sushmita Sen, though the film was a disaster at the box-office!
- RICHA CHADDHA in IT’S A MAN’S WORLD (2013) … RICHA CHADDHA has given amazing performances in films like DEV D & GANGS OF WASSEYPUR and she didn’t disappoint as a tough cop in IT’S A MAN’S WORLD!
- EESHA GUPTA in CHAKRAVYUH (2013) … It was quite a change for glamorous EESHA GUPTA as a tough cop in CHAKRAVYUH!
- NEETU CHANDRA in ONE TWO THREE (2011) … The only Bollywood actress to appear in the centre fold of PLAYBOY magazine, Neetu Chandra was quite hilarious as a Haryanvi cop in ONE TWO THREE!
SHAMITA SHETTY in CASH, SOHA ALI KHAN in MR. JOE B CARVALHO and BIPASHA BASU in DHOOM are other instances of women cop in Bollywood but surely everyone has high expectations from PRIYANKA CHOPRA in Prakash Jha’s JAI GANGAJAL and we sincerely hope that she’ll come up with another fine performance!