Delta: This week as students return to their studies for the 2017/2018 school year, the safety of those travelling by foot, bike or vehicle is paramount. We need everyone to do their part.
Delta Police will be conducting a back to school education and enforcement initiative over the course of the coming days utilizing multiple resources from Operations Bureau including, Cops Volunteers, School Liaison officers, Traffic Section, Patrol and Patrol Support Teams.
Delta Police issue these reminders:
For those picking up and dropping off students – Remember to follow school identified drop off and pick up procedures at your respective schools.
- Slow down; be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid distractions while the vehicle is in motion.
- Buckle up
- Ensure all children are in their proper child safety seat.
- Allow yourself sufficient travel time to reach your destination safely.
- When crossing the road do so in a marked crosswalk
- Make direct eye contact with the driver to ensure you have been seen prior to stepping into the crosswalk
- Check all lanes of traffic before proceeding through the crosswalk to ensure it is safe to cross all lanes.
- Wear light colored clothing and/or reflective clothing
- Wear helmets
- Wear reflective gear
- Remember, motorcycles/bicycles are hard to see.
- Fines for speeding violations in School Zones:
Speeding in a school zone if speed limit is exceeded by less than 21km/hr: $196
Speeding in a school zone if speed limit is exceeded by 21 to 40 km/hr: $253
Excessive speed if the speed limit is exceeded by 41 km/hr to 60 km/hr: $368