Angela Hardbattle
Angela Hardbattle
Angela Hardbattle

Tax Question:

Is a non-resident corporation that is registered for a Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST) account with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) required to keep records and books of account in Canada?


The Canadian Income Tax Act (ITA) requires everyone who registers for a GST/HST account to keep records and books of account in Canada in either English or French. However, CRA does allow the books and records to be kept outside of Canada in some circumstances.


In order to apply for permission to maintain the company records outside of Canada, an authorized representative of the company must make a written request. The written request must include:

  • A clear identification of the books, records, or other documents requested to be maintained outside of Canada;
  • The complete address of the location where the records are requested to be maintained;
  • A signed undertaking by the person making the request that they will be responsible for ensuring that any books and records maintained outside Canada will be made available within 30 days for review or audit by CRA officials upon request;
  • Details of any circumstances that would justify maintaining the books and records at a location outside Canada; and
  • Any other information considered pertinent to the request.

CRA has a standard request form that they provide to new non-resident GST/HST registrants to complete for review. If granted permission and the books and records are not made available when requested by CRA, the company will have to pay the travel and living expense incurred by CRA to perform an on-site inspection.

All books and records of account have to be kept for a minimum of six years from the end of the calendar year to which they relate to. If you want to destroy them before the six year time limit, you are required to get written permission from CRA.

Angela Hardbattle, Dipl. T (Hons), CPA, CA, Manager

Manager, Gilmour Group CPA’s

Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is intended solely to provide general guidance on matters of interest for the personal use of the reader, who accepts full responsibility for its use. While we have made every attempt to ensure the information contained in this article has been obtained from reliable sources and accurately described herein. SW Media Group and Gilmour Group Incorporated is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. Before taking any action that might affect your personal and business finances, you should consult a qualified professional advisor.