Delta Police are hopeful summer weather is right around the corner. With warmer weather and the beginning of vacation season, Delta Police are providing some preventative tips so you can guard against break and enters to your homes. If you do happen to fall victim to a break and enter contact police as soon as possible and do not disturb anything within the residence. This will allow for potential evidence gathering and effective canvassing of the area for possible suspects.
Preventative tips include:
- Ensure all windows and doors are closed and secured when you leave the residence even if you are only going to be gone for a short time.
- When you are home don’t leave keys, purses or wallets near insecure or open doors and windows.
- Keep your shrubs and trees trimmed to avoid blocking your doors and windows from clear view
- Window and door locking devices (as simple as a wooden stick in the track of the window or patio door) can be installed.
- Motion lights around the exterior of your property illuminating points of entry
- If you are home but working in your backyard ensure all windows and doors at the front and sides of the house are closed and locked.
- For those planning a weekend away or summer vacation, make preparation for someone to watch your residence while you are away, or attend your local Community Police Office and ask a volunteer about our Home Security Checks Program CASA (CoPS Are Security Active). Volunteers will check the perimeter of your residence while you are away on vacation.
Lets be proactive. By working together and implementing these preventative measures along with our patrol efforts, the Delta Police hope to keep these types of incidents to a minimum so you can have a little more peace of mind while at home or away.
For more information on the Delta Police Home Security Checks Program click the link: http://deltapolice.ca/services/residential/casa/