As the holiday season approaches, and residents in the Upper Fraser Valley prepare to give at Christmas, the RCMP remind folks to protect your property from being stolen. The festive season presents thieves a greater opportunity to target holiday shoppers as they buy gifts for family and friends.
“Along with our officers patrolling during the season we encourage neighbours to watch out for neighbours and report suspicious activity to police,” says Corporal Mike Rail spokesperson for the UFVRD. “Community working together with police is a powerful means to keep our neighbourhoods safe.”
Some helpful tips to protect your property from theft:
- Always lock vehicle doors.
- Do not leave valuables in plain view inside of your vehicle.
- Remove valuables and remote garage door openers from your vehicle when parked for the night.
- Light up your home at night.
For those planning to travel over the Christmas Season:
- Have someone check your home daily.
- Do not let newspapers and flyers accumulate in front of your home.
- Have the mail picked up daily or have the Post Office hold your mail.
RCMP remind everyone who witnesses anything they believe to be suspicious in nature to contact your local police or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).