- 12 slices of eggplant
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, torn into small pieces
- ¾ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ cup julienne-cut fresh basil
- Crushed red pepper(optional)
- ½ hour before cooking, sprinkle salt on the eggplant slices, place upright in a colanderon a clean towel or in the sink, and allow the liquid to be drawn from the eggplant slices and drain. Blot slices dry with a clean towel.
- Season eggplant slices with pepper and saute for approximately 2 minutes on each side in a large skillet on medium-high heat in olive oil. Set on paper towel to drain.
- On a parchment-covered or greased baking sheet, arrange four slices of eggplant.
- Top each slice of eggplant with a spoonful of tomato sauce, a small piece of mozzarella cheese, approximately a tablespoon of parmesan cheese, and a pinch of the fresh basil.
- Repeat the layers two more times, omitting the basil on the last layer.
- Bake in a 375-degree oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted (this doesn’t take long because all the ingredients are already cooked and the eggplant is warm!)
- After removing from oven, add remaining basil on top of each stack (this is added after baking so it doesn’t dry up or burn)
- Serve with a little bit of crushed red pepper and some fresh cracked black pepper on top.
Gurjyote Singh Sethi, owner of GJ’s Authentic Indian Kitchen in Surrey, BC. Gurjyote has over 15 years’ experience in the hospitality Industry. He has been associated with leading hotels like the Hyatt Regency New Delhi, Marriott Welcome Hotel, Fusion (Multi cuisine food Joint) Self Owned, Crowne Plaza Gurgaon by (IHG), and Aman Resorts New Delhi, The Claridges Surajkund and Vivanta by Taj at Surajkund. Email: email@example.com