Tax Question:

When and how can you stop contributing to Canada Pension Plan (CPP)?


CPP provides contributors with partial replacement of earnings (pension) during retirement. If you have contributed to CPP, you are eligible to begin receiving CPP after you turn 60. If you are earning employment income, you must continue to contribute to CPP until the age of 70 unless you file an election to stop contributing to CPP.


To file an election to stop contributing to CPP you must meet the following criteria:

  • You are between the ages of 65-70
  • You are receiving CPP retirement pension
  • You are making CPP contributions and would like to stop

If you meet this criteria, you can fill out a CPT30 form to elect to stop contributing to CPP. You must file the form with your employer and send a copy to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). You can stop contributing to CPP the first day of the month after the date you give this form to your employer and send a copy to CRA. Your election is effective until you revoke it.

It is common for a company to receive a PIER report (payroll desk audit) on the T4 for the calendar year in which the election was made. CRA will want to confirm that the correct CPP contributions were made prior to the election being in effect.

You can also file a CPT30 to elect to revoke your previous election and restart contributing to CPP. However, you can only file a CPT30 form once in a calendar year. For example, if you turn 65 in January and file the election to stop contributing to CPP and then later change your mind, you will need to wait until the next calendar year to file a new CPT30 form to revoke your election and begin contributing to CPP again.

Dawn Loeffler, BA (Hons), CPA, CA
Manager, Gilmour Group CPA’s
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is intended solely to provide general guidance on matters of interest for the personal use of the reader, who accepts full responsibility for its use. While we have made every attempt to ensure the information contained in this article has been obtained from reliable sources and accurately described herein. SW Media Group and Gilmour Group Incorporated is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. Before taking any action that might affect your personal and business finances, you should consult a qualified professional advisor.