On January 23rd at 7:45pm, a member of Surrey RCMP’s Traffic Enforcement Services spotted a suspected stolen car. The officer pulled the car over and took the alleged driver, believed to be intoxicated, into custody. As a result of the arrest a loaded semi-automatic pistol, suspected illicit drugs, and a large sum of cash were seized.
Now charged is 31-year-old John Schoch of Surrey with 1 count of each of the following 5 offences:
- Possession of a Loaded Firearm Without Registration or License
- Possession of a Firearm Without Registration or License
- Possession of a Firearm While Prohibited
- Possession of Stolen Property
- Impaired Operation of a Vehicle
The investigation is ongoing and more charges are possible. Schoch remains in custody.
Thanks to a sharp eye and quick thinking by this traffic officer, another gun is off the streets, says Corporal Scotty Schumann. In police work a seemingly routine event can quickly evolve into a significant investigation.