Jatinder Rosha

You can sponsor your parent or grandparent if you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and if you are 18 years of age or older. They can become a permanent resident under the Family Class. Dependent children under the age of  19 and single can also be included in the application. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will accept new applications to sponsor parents and grandparents starting January 3, 2017, with a cap of 10,000 new and complete applications. Applications received before January 3, 2016 will not be accepted and will be returned to the applicant.

To be eligible for Family Class sponsorship, the sponsor  must also exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program. If married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both can be included. Under new regulations that came into effect last year you must demonstrate that for the three consecutive taxation years preceding the date of application, your income is equal or greater than annual MNI (MINIMUM NECESSARY INCOME) plus 30% for each of the three years & it must be on the date on which the sponsorship application is signed until the day your family members are permanent residents.

Now the government will only accept Notice of Assessment or Option C print out issued by CRA. So, no accountant letters or pay slip copies will do.

Last year income requirements are as follows. This year you will require to submit income for year 2015 and that of year 2012 will not be required.


Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship
Size of Family Unit Minimum Income
Minimum Income
Minimum Income
2 persons $38,272 $37,708 $36,637
3 persons $47,051 $46,354 $45,040
4 persons $57,125 $56,280 $54,685
5 persons $64,791 $63,833 $62,023
6 persons $73,072 $71,991 $69,950
7 persons $81,355 $80,153 $77,879
If more than 7 persons, for each additional person, add $8,271 $8,148 $7,929

The sponsorship obligation period for the sponsors is for 20 years. In other words sponsor must sign an undertaking to repay any provincial social assistance benefits paid to the sponsored person and accompanying family member(s), if any, for a period of 20 year.

You will require documents including but not limited to:

  • Photocopy of PR card/citizenship certificate of sponsor;
  • Photocopy of your marriage certificate if wife is co -sponsor;
  • Photocopy of sponsor’s birth certificate;
  • Photocopy of sponsor’s mother’s or father’s birth certificate & marriage certificate;
  • if one parent is dead, photocopy of their death certificate;
  • option c print out or notice of assessment for 3 years for sponsor and his wife;
  • if dependent children are to be sponsored -photocopy of their birth certificate;

Jatinder Rosha is Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and can be reached at ameximmigration@gmail.com or Cell-604-725-9091.