Vancouver: Individual income tax and benefit returns for 2018 are due at 11:59 P.M. on April 30, 2019. If you are self-employed and have a balance owing, you must also file by the deadline to avoid penalties. So far, more than 18 million Canadians have filed their returns, 90% doing so electronically.

If you haven’t filed your return yet, don’t panic! Here are some tips to make last-minute filing easier:

  • File your return online for free – The Canada Revenue Agency’s web site lists certified software packages and web applications that you can use for free, or for a fee, depending on your tax situation.
  • Register for My AccountMy Account is a secure portal that lets you view your income tax and benefit information, and manage your tax affairs online. It’s convenient, easy to use, and secure. Once you’re fully registered, My Account lets you view your detailed notice of assessment or reassessment, the status of your return, your personalized benefit and credit information and much more.
  • Use Netfile – To ensure you continue to receive the credits and benefits you are entitled to, file on time! If you file electronically, you will receive your refund in as little as eight days. The average balance owing this year is $1,627.
  • Pay electronically – Make your payments online using payment methods such as online banking, My Payment (with your Interac® Online, Visa® Debit, or Debit MasterCard®), and pre-authorized debit from your account at a financial institution.
  • Avoid late filing penalties – Even if you cannot pay you entire balance owing by the deadline, you should still file your return on time to avoid a late-filing penalty. If you owe money and fail to file by April 30, you will be charged 5% on your balance owing, plus and addition 1% per month that you are late to a maximum of 12 months. If you are eligible, a payment arrangement will let you make smaller payments over time, until you pay the whole balance, including interest that has accumulated.
  • Questions? – Want to meet your tax obligations, but not sure where to start? Visit or call the Agency’s general tax enquiries phone line at 1-800-959-8281 for assistance.