New Delhi: Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) has become one of the most common causes of female infertility. From a proper diet, exercise and stress management, PCOD should be treated in a comprehensive manner, says an expert.
On the occasion of International Women’s Health Day, which falls on May 28, Suhasini Mudraganam, head nutritionist, Truweight, shares some tips to treat PCOD in a comprehensive manner
* Eat low glycemic diet: To improve PCOD, the diet should be lower in carbohydrates and almost none of the processed and white carbs. Stick to whole grains and millets in limited portions.
* Add more protein: Add protein in all three major meals and choose protein snacks like eggs, roasted grams, nuts. Protein in the meal will stabilise the blood sugar and also add to satiety. Lean meats, fish, beans, legumes are also good sources.
* Increase fiber intake: Add more vegetables, fresh fruits, beans to your diet. Aim for 25-30 grams of fiber per day.
* Exercise regularly: Exercise improves insulin sensitivity. If you cannot find enough time to exercise daily then try and be more active.
* Vitamin D: Make sure you have enough vitamin D in your blood. Try standing in the sunl for 10-15 minutes for at least three-four days a week and also look at supplementing vitamin D if the levels are low.
* Maintain right time: Space your meals and the carbs. Eat at frequent intervals to keep the blood sugar and insulin levels under control.
* Early detection and right strategies by losing weight, exercising regularly and improving deficiencies can help to improve condition.