Many people with homes and gardens are familiar with the weed deterrent RoundUp (the most popular herbicide in the world). They know that you should wear a mask if you use it; to be careful if there are any animals around; etc
Many municipalities, including mine, have banned the use of it because it is so dangerous. Did you know that Monsanto created it? The problem with RoundUp & other sprays is the toxic ingredient: Glyphosate – which is now in our foods.
Planes fly over crops spraying them with RoundUp? The argument that used to be used in favour of RoundUp was that it became inert when it touched the ground…there are two, if not more, problems with this argument:
- plants breath and it is in the air all around them that they breath in
- just because it is inert, doesn’t mean it is inactive
Articles in the journal Toxicology have exposed the fact that there are numerous ingredients that are claimed to be inert but are definitely NOT inactive, such as: preservatives and surfactants and Glyphosates. So what do glyphosates do in your body? Well…
1) They suppress an important molecule called P450 – which is involved in the detoxification of chemicals not natural to the body or to nature.
2) Consequently, glyphosates enhance the damaging effects of:
- food toxins
- environmental toxins
- synthetic cleaners
- pharmaceutical drugs
3) They damage the shikimate pathyway which is responsible for biosynthesis of various amino acids. The argument is that humans do not have a shikimate pathway. The challenge is, your over 1000 bacteria that make up your gut flora all have the shikimate pathway. Further, the shikimate pathway, is involved in the synthesis of :
- 1) synthesizing essential aromatic amino acids (sulfur containing amino acids):
- histidine (not essential)
- in addition glyphosates also reduced the amino acids serine, glycine and methionine up to 65%
- 2) synthesize vitamins
- 3) detoxify xenobiotics
- 4) participate in the immune system
- 5) contribute to the gastrointestinal permeability
Consequently, damaging the bacteria in our guts, provokes problems like:
- Crohn’s Disease
- Liver disease, ie., Non alcholoic Fatty Liver Disease & others
Now it is important to note that sugar, heavy metals and numerous other toxins can be contributing to these diseases as well. Organ damage has been shown to occur with glyphosates at 0.1 ppm )parts per million. The EPA standard for glyphosates in Europe it 0.2 ppm (parts per million); in the US, it is 0.7 ppm.
GMO corn may contain 13 ppm!!
Residues of glyphysates are found primarily in :
- but also in:
- sugar beets
A further note is that plants cells that are glyphosate sensitive end up having excess ammonia. In addition, because of the impact on various enzymes, ie., crops growth is slowed. Glyphosate ends up chelating the plants’ basic micronutrients including:
Consequently, we loose out as well. Which may contribute to why studies show that upwards of 92% of North Americans are deficient in magnesium. Why iron has to be injected into so many of our foods. Etc Etc. But we do have a number of protocol that can help reverse this situation.
Entrophy 2013: 15, 1416-1463