Surrey: In light of the growing transit demands, in the face of the failure of the referendum to provide further resources, TransLink has offered a number of transportation changes, efficiencies and increased services, and even some eliminated routes, across the Lower Mainland.
There is an easy survey on the website at: http://www.translink.ca/Plans-and-Projects/Managing-the-Transit-Network/Transit-Network-Consultation/
and just like the federal election, if you are a rider and you fail to participate in the survey, you don’t have any right to complain about the result.
The survey is separated into seven sections: Regional Packages, Northeast Sector Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows, Burnaby & New Westminster, North Shore; Vancouver & UBC, Richmond & South Delta, and South of Fraser. Each of the regions has detailed maps and full explanations.
This article will review some of the critical changes proposed south of the Fraser and Richmond – South Delta.
South of Fraser:
- Langley: 208th & Willoughby, there’s a proposal to reroute 595 away from 200th to 208th Streets while retaining service on 200th with the 501
- Discontinue the 502 and 590 peak-only extensions from Langley Centre to Brookswood
- Redesign the C63 to only travel along 208th Street which increases C63 service to maintain current number of Brookswood trips, merge the 501 and 590 into a single route
- Cloverdale/Panorama Village: introduce service along Highway #10, improve connections in Panorama Village area to Newton, Cloverdale and Langley. On 64th Avenue between 152nd and 168th streets, there are fewer than 13 passengers per trip on the 341 during peak-period while there is a customer demand for increased travel options along Highway 10
- King George Hwy (part of another package for White Rock South Surrey): Moving towards a B-Line to White Rock, redesign a route with fewer stops. Customers along 32nd Street will still have access to the 345, the 354, and the 375. A B-Line to White Rock is identified in the South of Fraser ATP (2007) and the Mayors’ Plan (2014)
- White Rock South Surrey: proposal has quite a number of changes involving routes 351/352/354/C50/C51/C52 and C53. It is recommended that readers study the options and the maps
Richmond South Delta
- Tsawwassen: Reroute the 609 through the new Tsawwassen Mills development, reroute the 601 to connect to the two new Tsawwassen malls
- Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal Express (620): Improving speed and reliability by redesigning route with fewer stops between Bridgeport Station and Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal, and introduce all-door boarding at the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal and Bridgeport Station
So have your say on transit changes in your community. Read about the proposed network changes and take the survey before November 6, to help shape transit in the region.
By Ray Hudson