Make sure you are carrying right documents


Vancouver, BC: As BC Family Day, February 10, approaches, and families are also planning Spring Break vacations, BC Notaries are reminding travellers to get their documents in order. If people are travelling out of the country with a child and both parents are not present, they will need a notarized letter of permission (called a Declaration of Consent) from the parents/guardians that include the dates of travel. Situations where this may be required include if only one parent is with the child, if the parents are separated or divorced, if neither parent is present, such as for school trips or if grandparents or other relatives and not the parent or parents are with the child. Sample Declarations of Consent are available from BC Notaries.

Make sure you read Mexican Consulate website before travelling to Mexico because they sometimes change their requirements unexpectedly,” says Kristy Martin, Victoria Notary Public.“You need to research which documents you need, not only to enter or exit the country you are visiting, but what is required by Immigration Canada to exit and re-enter Canada,” adds Delta Notary Daniel Boisvert In general, prior to any international travel that includes a child, parents should contact the Embassy or Consulate of all countries the child will be visiting to enquire about entry and exit requirements. Each person travelling outside of Canada requires a valid Canadian passport.  It is advised that  Canadian  travellers check before going on a vacation.