Grant Gilmour

Grant  GilmourTax Question:

What are the proposed tax changes to private corporations that the Canadian government made in July 2017 and what do these changes mean for my company?


On July 18, 2017, the Canadian government proposed tax changes in an effort to remove tax advantages that small business owners have and address aggressive tax planning strategies involving the use of private corporations. These proposed changes are open for discussion until October 2, 2017, before being formally submitted for legislation.


These proposed changes have three main areas of focus. In this series, we will discuss each of these areas and their impact to your private corporation.

  1. Sprinkling income using private corporations:Restrictions on income splitting to family members through dividends and capital gains by introducing reasonability tests on dividends and providing restrictions on the eligibility of the Lifetime Capital Exemption on capital gains.
  2. Passive investment portfolios held inside a private corporation:Neutralizing financial advantages of investments held within a private corporation by increasing taxes on passive investment income.
  3. Converting private corporation’s regular income into capital gains:Preventing private corporations from converting surplus income to a lower-taxed capital gain and stripping it from the corporation.

Grant Gilmour, BSc (Hons), MBA, CPA, CA, CICA – ITC
Partner, Gilmour Group CPA’s
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is intended solely to provide general guidance on matters of interest for the personal use of the reader, who accepts full responsibility for its use. While we have made every attempt to ensure the information contained in this article has been obtained from reliable sources and accurately described herein. SW Media Group and Gilmour Group Incorporated is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. Before taking any action that might affect your personal and business finances, you should consult a qualified professional advisor.