Angela Hardbattle

Tax Question:

What is a schedule 97 as part of a T2 corporate tax return?


Angela Hardbattle
Angela Hardbattle


Schedule 97 is an additional information schedule for non-resident corporations that must file a Canadian tax return.


This schedule reports the type of income earned in Canada by the non-resident corporation.

There are two parts to this schedule. The first part requires the non-resident to identify which country it was incorporated in.

The second part lists 12 types of income earned. Only one type can be selected. Some of the types listed are:

  • Treaty-based exempt corporation: This relates to corporations that carried on business in Canada but did not have a permanent establishment and is required to complete Schedule 91.
  • Section 216: This relates to real property rental income. The non-resident corporation has elected to file a tax return in order to pay taxes on the net rental income instead of taxes on the gross rental income received.
  • Canadian branch: If a corporation earned income from a business carried on in Canada and had a permanent establishment in Canada, it is considered to have a branch in Canada and pay a ‘branch’ tax.

This schedule is helpful in determining what additional tax schedules may be required and what sections of the tax may be applicable as the schedule provides detailed information.

Angela Hardbattle, Dipl. T (Hons), CPA, CA

Manager, Gilmour Group CPA’s
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is intended solely to provide general guidance on matters of interest for the personal use of the reader, who accepts full responsibility for its use. While we have made every attempt to ensure the information contained in this article has been obtained from reliable sources and accurately described herein. SW Media Group and Gilmour Group Incorporated is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. Before taking any action that might affect your personal and business finances, you should consult a qualified professional advisor.