Angela Hardbattle
Angela Hardbattle
Angela Hardbattle

Tax question:
Do you know what a T1135 Information Return is and how it relates to Canadian corporations investing their money in foreign markets? If not, read on…

Many Canadian corporations are choosing to invest their money in foreign markets. When corporations invest in foreign markets, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) may or may not be aware of the investments. Therefore, CRA requires specified foreign properties to be disclosed to them.

If a corporation’s or individual’s total cost of specified foreign property at any time during its fiscal year is more than $100,000 Canadian, it will need to complete a T1135 Foreign Income Verification statement.
Specified foreign property includes (but not limited to):
• Funds in foreign bank accounts
• Debts owed by non-residents
• Foreign rental properties
• Interests in non-resident trusts
• Shares of foreign corporations (even if held in a Canadian brokerage account)
• Interests in a partnership that holds specified foreign property
Canadian-based mutual funds that hold specified foreign property are excluded from reporting. Shares in a related foreign corporation are also not included as these shares are disclosed on another statement, a T1134 Information Return Relating to Controlled and Not-Controlled Foreign Affiliates.
For example, a Canadian corporation purchases $150,000 Canadian worth of shares in Apple Inc. During the year, 50% of the shares are sold leaving a cost of $75,000 Canadian by the end of the year. Since the shares were in a US company and the value of the shares were over $100,000 at one point during the year, the corporation would be required to disclose them on a T1135 statement.
The T1135 statement requires the disclosure of the country of the property, the maximum cost during the year, the cost at year end, income (loss) earned on the property during the year and the gain (loss) on disposition. Shares held inside an account with a Canadian registered securities dealer are required to disclose the maximum fair market value (FMV) during the year and FMV at year end.
The statement must be filed by the filing due date of the income tax return. Penalties for not filing on time are significant, $25 per day up to a maximum of $2,500. If your corporation has not filed yet as you were unaware of the filing requirements, the penalties may be waived if the information return is submitted under the Voluntary Disclosure Program.
You can contact Gilmour Group CPAs to learn more about how to report foreign property on a T1135 statement.

Angela Hardbattle, Dipl. T (Hons), CPA, CA
Staff Accountant, Gilmour Knotts
Chartered Accountant.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is intended solely to provide general guidance on matters of interest for the personal use of the reader, who accepts full responsibility for its use. While we have made every attempt to ensure the information contained in this article has been obtained from reliable sources and accurately described herein. SW Media Group and Gilmour Knotts Incorporated is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. Before taking any action that might affect your personal and business finances, you should consult a qualified professional advisor.