Historically, our only gut issue was the extent that it might “stick out”. Today, we are starting to understand its vast importance. Then we were taught that that a “gut” provoked diabetes. Today, we know that 80% of those with weight issues don’t have diabetes. Times are changing fast and the information that is being discovered by NON-Big Pharma research is moving even faster.
Your gastrointestinal (GI) tract, the tube that runs from your mouth to your anus, is actually outside of your body. With an estimated 35,000 species, there is more microbiota in your gut than the total number of cells in your body…these guys play a huge role in your health.
Our microbiota development starts during fetal development; then through the birth canal; and again through Mother’s Milk. Subsequently, the diet in the first couple of years plays a huge role in the developing colonization of various species.
They are responsible for:
- Metabolize sugars, carbohydrates. fibers, polyphenols, bioflavonoids, etc.
- Create or effect the regulation of various vitamins, fatty acids, neurotransmitters, neuropeptides, enzymes, glial cells and neural myelination
- Metabolize & eliminate minerals, like zinc, iodine, selenium, etc.
- Protect the intestinal mucosal membrane & secrete toxins that kill pathogenic microbes
- Interact with, support & help regulate our immune & inflammatory system
Your gut microbiota can affect your thoughts, your emotions & behavior. Everything from depression/anxiety, bipolar disorders, schizophrenia & autism; never mind cholesterols, weight, diabetes, liver function, etc.
Today’s diet destroys the good guys & supports the bad guys.
- Bad guys feed on sugars
- Pasteurized, process & GMO foods lack the nutrients the good guys require
- Lack good fiber to transport/feed the good guys
- Environmental and heavy metal toxicity in the air, water, food & cleaning products destroy the good guys
- Medications, from anti-depressants to birth control pills to anti-biotics destroy the good guys
You can enhance good healthy microbiota.
- Fermented foods & picked foods (Healthy yogurt – no sugars, artificial fruit & flavourings)
- Polyphenols (green leafy vegetables, 100% chocolate, berries, etc.)
- Vitamin D from the sun
Whether you want to get pregnant; have emotional issues, neurological disorders, immune disorders, inflammatory disorders, weight issues or a huge number of other issues; then start with your diet and improve your gut function. A healthy gut digest, absorbs and eliminates effectively. Here’s to your health.
Here’s to your health.
For more information, contact: email@example.com
Dr. Holly is a naturopathic doctor that holds a PhD in Psychology and Biochemistry, specializing in balancing mind, body and energy of the system.
Disclaimer: This article provides general information only and is not a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or other health care practitioner.