Surrey: The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team had announced on Saturday that a 27 year old male has been arrested and charged in connection with the Julie Paskall homicide investigation.

Investigative efforts were launched on Sunday December 29, 2013 when BC Ambulance, Surrey Fire Department and the Surrey RCMP were called to attend the parking lot outside of the Newton Arena at 7120 136b Street to assist an unconscious female in the parking lot. The investigation soon determined that a 53 year old woman – Julie Paskall – had suffered life threatening injuries. IHIT was called in take conduct of the investigation and tragically Julie died two days later.

The investigation focused on what appeared to be an unprovoked attack and a possible crime of opportunity. Over the past five months investigative efforts included crime scene and forensic analysis, extensive search and canvas of the area, the review of approximately 1000 hours of video footage and countless hours of physical surveillance.

IHIT was called upon to lead this investigation and with the assistance of a variety of specialized resources and other units including tremendous support from Surrey RCMP detachment, says Superintendent Kevin Hackett, Officer in Charge of IHIT. Together we remained focused on gathering evidence, following leads and deploying all the tools and resources available to ensure the individual responsible was held accountable. That coordinated and integrated approach has once again proven successful including significant support from municipal, provincial and federal RCMP units.

On Friday May 23, 2014 IHIT investigators arrested the 27 year old recent Surrey resident – Yosef Jomo Gopaul – in Surrey without incident. Gopaul  has been charged with second degree murder in connection with Julie Paskall’s death. Gopaul had moved to B.C. from Ontario about eight weeks before the homicide took place.

Every murder is a tragedy, said Chief Superintendent Bill Fordy, the Officer in Charge of Surrey Detachment. Julie’s death not only had a devastating impact on her family and friends, the community of Newton, the City of Surrey, but also the hockey community across the country. There was never any doubt in my mind that I would one day be standing shoulder to shoulder with Supt. Hackett announcing that we had arrived at a place where somebody has been charged.