Jatinder Rosha

By Jatinder Rosha

Jatinder Rosha
Jatinder Rosha

You can sponsor your parent or grandparent if you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and if you are 18 years of age or older. They can become a permanent resident under the Family Class. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will accept new applications to sponsor parents and grandparents starting January 2, 2015. Applications received before January 2, 2015 will not be accepted and will be returned to the applicant. 5000 complete applications will be accepted for 2015.

If you intend to sponsor your loved ones for the next year you must have all the documents ready before hand . To be eligible for Family Class sponsorship, the sponsor must also exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program. If married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both can be included. Under new regulations you must demonstrate that for the three consecutive taxation years preceding the date of application, your income is equal or greater than annual MNI (MINIMUM NECESSARY INCOME) plus 30% for each of the three years. Now the government will only accept Notice of Assessment or Option C print out issued by CRA. So, no accountant letters or pay slip copies will do.

The sponsorship obligation period for the sponsors is now 20 years. In other words sponsor must sign an undertaking to repay any provincial social assistance benefits paid to the sponsored person and accompanying family member(s), if any, for a period of 20 year. Your Minimum Necessary Income must meet or exceed the Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship above on the date on which the sponsorship application is signed until the day your family members are permanent residents.


Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship
























Jatinder Rosha is Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and can be reached at ameximmigration@gmail.com.