- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- a pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup salted butter (cold)
- one egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- (1/4 cup raisins or currants (optional)
- Cream and jam to serve
- Heat oven to (225ºC)
- In a bowl, place the dry ingredients. Mix lightly to combine. Keep aside.
- In a measuring jug, put the buttermilk. Beat the egg in a small bowl, and then pour into the buttermilk. Stir to combine.
- Place the butter in the center of the dry ingredients and cut with a knife into small pieces. Take a pastry blender and mix the butter into the flour until resembles coarse crumbs, finishing off the pastry using your hands once the pieces have become quite small.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg and buttermilk, (reserving one tablespoon of liquid in the jug).
- Mix gently with a wooden spoon until a dough forms, then place dough onto a clean, well-floured surface. Form into a ball, then pat out, or roll to approximately ¾″ in thickness. Do not knead the dough or it will make the scones tough. With sharp cutters, cut out scones and place on silicone baking mat or parchment lined baking tray. Gently knead scraps together and repeat until dough is finished. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the scones with the remaining egg/buttermilk mixture.
- Place in middle of preheated oven for about 9 minutes, then turn tray and continue to bake for another 9 minutes or until scones look golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven, and place in a towel lined basket, or on a cooling rack if you wish to serve them on a plate. Serve with butter, whipped cream and jam.
Gurjyote Singh Sethi, Canadian Red Seal Chef with over 18 years of Culinary Experience, Currently operating Catering company GJ’S Kitchen in Surrey BC. He had been associated with leading hotels in India, The Hyatt Regency New Delhi, Marriott Welcome Hotel, Crown Plaza Gurgaon by (IHG), and Aman Resorts New Delhi, The Claridges Surajkund and Vivanta by Taj at Surajkund. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. www.gjskitchen.com