- 2 cups brown rice flakes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 green chillies chopped (as per taste)
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp chana dal
- Garnish (peanuts, coriander)
- Rinse the brown rice flakes with water, drain water and keep aside. This is enough to soften it. You won’t need any more water to cook it, except maybe a few sprinkles to keep it moist.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds to it. Once they splutter, add the curry leaves and urad dal to it as well.
- Add the onions and green chillies and sauté till the onions soften and are translucent but not brown.
- Add the drained rice flakes to this and the salt and mix well. Sprinkle a handful of water, switch off the heat, cover and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Add the coconut to this, mix well and serve hot with a side some chutney.
- Garnish with some peanuts and green coriander
Gurjyote Singh Sethi, Canadian Red Seal Chef with over 18 years of Culinary Experience, Currently operating Catering company GJ’S Kitchen in Surrey BC. He had been associated with leading hotels in India, The Hyatt Regency New Delhi, Marriott Welcome Hotel, Crown Plaza Gurgaon by (IHG), and Aman Resorts New Delhi, The Claridges Surajkund and Vivanta by Taj at Surajkund. Email: email@example.com