S. Rajamouli’s blockbuster hit BAHUBALI won the prized award at 63rd National Film Awards by bagging the National Best Film award, however, Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s BAJIRAO MASTANI, which had been winning awards at almost all major award shows, emerged the biggest winner as it won seven awards in total including the best director award to Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Amitabh Bachchan won his fifth National award as he won the best actor award for Shoojit Sirkar’s PIKU while Kangana Ranaut won her third National award by winning the best actress award for TANU WEDS MANU RETURNS. Kabir Khan’s BAJRANGI BHAIJAN won the National best film for wholesome entertainment while NANAK SHAH FAKIR, a film about the teachings of Guru Nanak Dev Ji that was not allowed to have theatrical release in many parts of India & abroad, won the Nargis Dutt award for best film on National Integration. All in all, the jury headed by Ramesh Sippy & Satish Kaushik, gave most of the national awards to Bollywood films and here’s the full list of 63rd NATIONAL FILM AWARDS….
- Best Film: Baahubali – The Beginning
- Best Popular Film providing wholesome entertainment: Bajrangi Bhaijaan
- Best Director: Sanjay Leela Bhansali for “Bajirao Mastani”
- Best Actress: Kangana Ranaut “Tanu Weds Manu Returns”
- Best Actor: Amitabh Bachchan for “Piku”
- Best Supporting Actress: Tanvi Azmi for Bajirao Mastani
- Best Supporting Actor: Samuthirakani forVisaranai
- Best Child Artist: Gaurav Menon from the film “Ben”
- Best Children’s Film: Duronto
- Best Film on Social Issues: Nirnayakam
- Best Editing Award: Lt. TE Kishore for Visaranai
- Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut Film of A Director: Neeraj Ghaywan for Masaan
- Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film On National Integration: Nanak Shah Fakir
- Best Music Direction: M Jayachandran for Song Kaathirunnu Kaathirunnu for The Film Ennu Ninte Moideen
- Best Music Direction: Background Score Ilaiyaraaja for The Film Thaarai Thappattai
- Best Female Playback Singer: Monali Thakur for Moh Moh Ke Dhaage
- Best Makeup: Nank Shah Fakir team
- Best Jury Award: Kalki Koechlin for Margarita, with a Straw
- Best Lyricists: Varun Grover for Moh Moh Ke Dhaage from Dum Laga Ke Haisha
- Best Choreography: Remo D’Souza for Deewani Mastani song from Bajirao Mastani
- Best Cinematography: Sudeep Chaterjee for Bajirao Mastani
- Best Screenplay Writer (Original): Juhi Chaturvedi for “Piku” and Himanshu Sharm for “Tanu Weds Manu Returns”
- Best Screenplay Dialogues: Juhi Chaturvedi for “Piku” and Himanshu Sharma for “Tanu Weds Manu Returns”
- Special Mention: Ritika Singh for Irudhi Suttru
- Special Mention: Jayasurya for Su Su Sudhi Vathmeekam & Lukka Chuppi
- Special Mention: Rinku Rajguru for The Film Sairat
- Best Film Friendly State Award: Gujarat
- Best Film Friendly State Award: Special mention to Uttar Pradesh and Kerala
- Best Assamese Film: Kothanodi
- Best Bengali Film: Shankhachil
- Best Hindi Film: Dum Laga Ke Haisha
- Best Kannada Film: Thithi
- Best Konkani Film: Enemy
- Best Malayalam Film: Pathemari
- Best Marathi Film Ringan
- Best Odiya Film: Pahada Ra Luha
- Best Tamil Film: Visaaranai
- Best Mizo Film: Kima’s Lode Beyond The Class
- Best Sanskrit Film: Priyamanasam
- Best Maithili Film: Mithila Makhaan
- Best Telugu Film: Kanche
- Best Manipuri Film: Eibusu Yaohanbiyu
- Best Wancho Film: The Head Hunter
- Best Bodo Film: Dau Huduni Methai
- Best Haryanvi Film: Satrangi
- Best Khasi Film: Onaatah
- Best Non Feature Film: Amdavad Ma Famous
- Best Art Cultural Film: A Far Afternoon – A Painted Saga
- Best Biographical: Life in a Metaphor
- Best Short Fiction Film: Aushad
- Best Music: ‘A Far Afternoon’ (Non feature)
- Best Special Effects: Baahubali – The Beginning
RECORD FIFTH NATIONAL AWARD FOR AMITABH BACHCHAN!!!
Fans & family celebrated as ‘ SHAHENSHAH ‘ AMITABH BACHCHAN won his record fifth national award for his much appreciated performance in Shoojit Sirkar’s PIKU at the recently announced 63rd National Film Awards. Amitabh Bachchan won his first National award for his introductory performance in Khwaja Ahmad Abbas’s SAAT HINDUSTANI (1968) and thereafter won for Mukul Anand’s AGNIPATH, Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s BLACK, R.Balki’s PAA & finally for Shoojit Sirkar’s PIKU (2016). With five National awards, Amitabh Bachchan is certainly the most decorated actor in India and we at ASIAN JOURNAL congratulate him for yet another achievement!
SHABANA AZMI HOLDS THE RECORD FOR MOST NATIONAL BEST ACTRESS AWARDS!!!
National acting awards were instituted in 1968 and the very first acting winners were the Bengali Matinee Idol UTTAM KUMAR for National Best Actor and ‘ The Lady in White ‘ NARGIS DUTT won the National Best Actress award for her last film appearance in Anwar Hussein’s RAAT AUR DIN (1968). Many prominent film personalities from different regions of India have shared the acting honors since but SHABANA AZMI stands tall amongst others as she’s the only actor to win the acting honors five times as the National Best Actress. She won her first Best Actress award for Shyam Benegal’s ANKUR (1974), her very first film released in 1974 though she’d signed Khwaja Ahmad Abbas’s FAASLA in 1973, and then Mahesh Bhatt’s ARTH (1983), KHANDHAR (1984), PAAR (1985) & GODMOTHER (1998), thus becoming the only actress in Indian history to win five National Best Actress awards (India’s equivalent to Oscars). Shabana Azmi also won many state, regional & international awards during her illustrious career and Vancouverites are lucky indeed as they would have a chance to meet and greet India’s cultural ambassador as KVP Entertainers is hosting this incredible talent at HARD ROCK CASINO, Coquitlam on Friday, April 8,2016 at 8.30 pm!
KAIFI AUR MAIN IS FIRST INDIAN CONCERT EVER AT HARD ROCK CASINO!!!
Vancouver’s HARD ROCK CASINO is a prestigious venue in Western Canada and India’s ‘Living Legends’ SHABANA AZMI & JAVED AKHTAR, along with the musical team of JASWINDER SINGH, will be the first Indian artists to perform there as they bring the acclaimed musical play KAIFI AUR MAIN on Friday, April 8,2016. The ‘Romantic Saga’ of KAIFI AZMI & SHAUKAT AZMI, Shabana Azmi’s parents, has been getting amazing response during their North American tour ever since it started last week and after sold out performances in Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit & Toronto, the second week performances in prominent cities like Hartford,Connecticut, Boston, Masachussettes, Washington DC & New Jersey were sold out as well.
KAIFI AUR MAIN presents the poetry, gazal/bollywood singing & theatre at its best and after the super success of last year’s play MERA WOH MATLAB NAHIN THA by Anupam Kher & Neena Gupta, KVP Entertainers & Kamal’s Video Palace bring yet another quality play to Vancouver’s growing appetite for theatre and with Seattle on April 6th & San Jose on April 9nth already sold out, tickets at $50,75,100 & VIP will not stay for long, so check out www.ticketmaster.ca or call Kamal Sharma at (604)592-9777 or (604)833-1977 for more information.
AFTER CHEENI KUM, PAA & SHAMITABH, R. BALKI PRESENTS KI & KA !!!
KI & KA or HERS & HIS is an unusual name but then R.Balki always has had unusual names for his films and this film is based upon the gender roles placed upon women & men in Indian society. Starting from CHEENI KUM to PAA and SHAMITABH, R.Balki has never seen beyond AMITABH BACHCHAN and though KI & KA is played by KAREENA KAPOOR & ARJUN KAPOOR, Balki still managed to bring Amitabh Bachchan and this time with Mrs. Jaya Bachchan as well , which speaks of his love and devotion for Amitabh & Illyaraja . Yes, Illyaraja has scored the music once again (with Meet Brothers, Yo Yo Honey Singh & Mithoon) and it’s to be seen how KI & KA with Rajit Kapoor & Swaroop Sampat would fare at the box office.
Blame it on T20 WORLD CUP CRICKET or the ever growing popularity of KAPOOR & SONS and Punjabi films in the Overseas market, John Abraham’s ROCKY HANDSOME failed to draw the audiences and managed Rs.25 Crores in the first week and things don’t look better as KI & KA opens along with M.A. PASS and the World Cup comes to a close this weekend.
It’s officially confirmed that MALAIKA ARORA KHAN & ARBAAZ KHAN have legally separated; Salman Khan has become the proud MAMA as his sister Arpita gave birth to baby boy Ahil at a Mumbai hospital; With seven national awards, Sanjay Leela Bhansali had lot to celebrate as he hosted a party and from Shahrukh Khan to Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Ranveer Singh to Sonam Kapoor were all there to enjoy; Pakistani Canadian Women Association’s SEHAT MELA is on Saturday, April 2nd from 12-5 PM at Kwantlein University and this FREE & Informative fair invites all Ladies & Children; SALAAMA GALA’s fundraiser is on Saturday, April 2nd at 6 pm at CROWN PALACE BANQUET HALL and Tkts.at $60/75 are still available; KAIFI AUR MAIN tickets are selling fast at www.ticketmaster.ca or cal KAMAL SHARMA at (604)592-9777 or (604)833-1977 to meet & greet India’s Living Legends JAVED AKHTAR & SHABANA AZMI along with ‘ Singing Sensation ‘ JASWINDER SINGH for their first ever performance at Vancouver’s HARD ROCK CASINO on FRIDA, APRIL 8, 2016 @ 8.30 PM. This week’s YAADEIN from RED CARPET EVENTS features the group songs on Sunday, April 3 @ 1 PM on SMC#116 and with that it’s time to say good bye till next week !
Kamal Sharma, president of Kamal’s Video Palace, the biggest Indian video store in North America and concert promoter since 1994, is a popular TV host on Shaw Multicultural Channel of “Kamal’s Top 5 Hits” and “YAADEIN,” the longest running South Asian TV shows for more than 31 years.